Tried and true method, the French Press is an easy method to rich, tasty coffee. In a few simple steps, you'll have a sweet, full-bodied pot ready for sipping.
Supplies: goose neck kettle, French press, filtered water, coffee, spoon, scale, timer
Coffee to water ratio, in grams: 1:15 (in these instructions, we'll be brewing with 22g of coffee and 330g of water. Adjust according to your french press.)
Total brewing time : 4 minutes
- Bring water to a boil and measure 22g of coffee. Grind the coffee coarse, for example the 30 setting on a Baratza Encore. Warm up the french press with hot water
- Discard the water and add the grounds to the french press.
- Start the timer and pour in 165g of water (half of total amount of water).
- Give the coffee a gentle stir, then pour another 165g of water (the rest of the water).
- After one minute, stir again.
- Set the lid filter on top of the press. Make sure the filter is submerged below the water and coffee grounds are fully saturated with water.
- After 4 minutes, slowly press down. If possible, decant the coffee by transferring it to another vessel to prevent the coffee from over-extracting.